VIC finalists in 2020 Disability Sport & Recreation Awards
Bowls Victoria is proud to be represented with finalists in two categories of the 2020 Victorian Disability Sport & Recreation Awards, recognising the achievements of our dedicated Victorian athletes.
First up we congratulate BCiB Para-Sport Jackaroo Josh Barry, a finalist in the category of Male Sportsperson of the Year. Josh’s achievements during 2019 included:
- Men’s State Fours Championship Winner with Deer Park (Metro West) @2019 State Champions Week
- Bowlers with a Physical Disability Singles Runner-Up @2019 Multi Disabilities Championships
- Bowlers with a Physical Disability Pairs Winner with B. Brennan @2019 Multi Disabilities Championships
- Men’s B7/8 Singles Winner @2019 Multi Bowl Nationals
- Men’s B7/8 Pairs Winner with B. Brennan @2019 Multi Bowl Nationals
- Open Triples Winner with B. Brennan and L. Protopapas @Multi Bowl Nationals
- Captain of the Victorian Bowlers with a Physical Disability team who competed at the 2019 Multi Bowl Nationals.
- BCiB Jackaroos Para-Sport Squad member, 2019 UK tour
Next we congratulate our Victorian Physical Disability State Side for being named finalists in the Club Team of the Year category, with Josh Barry again being recognised as part of his contribution to this team.
The team was comprised of players from Melbourne and Regional Victoria, with some travelling over 4 hours for trials, training and events throughout the year. Players attended selection trials to gain selection into the Team, and they also participate regularly in Bowls Victoria disability events throughout the state. Players participated in fundraising events to reduce their costs for their trip to Mackay to compete in the 2019 Multibowl National Championships.
Well done to our State Side:
Josh Barry (Deer Park)
Barry Brennan (Moama)
Ross Higgins (Shepparton Park)
Ben Robinson (Craigieburn)
Lucas Protopapas (Ringwood)
Paul Kearney (Moama/Rich River)
Janet Morrison (Mulgrave)
Alison East (Balmoral)
Shirley Ivanovic (Lilydale)
Wendy Odgers (Somerville)
and emergency player Lyn Hamblin (Portland RSL Memorial)
The team was named Australian Champions at the Multi Bowl Nationals, placing in all but two events. Their results included:
- Interstate Aggregate Champions trophy
- Gold: Men’s B5/6 Pairs, Men’s B7/8 Pairs, Men’s B7/8 Singles, Open Triples
- Silver: Women’s B7/8 Singles, Men’s B7/8 Pairs
- Bronze: Women’s B7/8 Singles, Women’s B5/6 Singles, Open Triples
Bowls Victoria congratulates Josh and the whole State Side on their collective achievements during 2019, which led to them being named finalists – their nominations are very well deserved and we can’t wait for the outcome of the Virtual Awards, being held on 3rd December 2020.
Good Luck everyone!
Photo credit: Disability Sport Australia