To minimise any criticism directed at Greens Inspectors while carrying out their duties, those seeking Greens Inspector accreditation need to be suitably educated and trained.
The process to attain Greens Inspector accreditation is as follows:
- Complete the online Greens Inspector Application Form
- Undertake an on-green inspection and physical assessment with an accredited Greens Inspector. This will include completing a pro-forma report.
- Read the online Information Kit and familiarise yourself with the relevant Laws and Rules applicable to the setting out of a bowling green.
- Complete a written test (found in the Information Kit).
- Complete and return the written test to the Bowls Victoria Greens Committee (or an Approved Examiner Assessor) for checking.
TRAINING AND ASSESSMENT
Those undertaking this training will need to be able to demonstrate the following to gain accreditation:
- Inspection of NEW greens and fully-rebuilt greens (i.e. from drainage up), including grass,
synthetic (sand filled and carpet)
- Testing Procedures
- Knowledge of Laws
- Grading assessment of green and completion of relevant Green Inspection Report
UPCOMING GREENS INSPECTOR COURSES
The Bowls Victoria’s Greens Committee are running Greens Inspector courses at the following venues across the next few months.
To sign up, please click here.
If these course dates are not suitable, please still register your interest in becoming a Greens Inspector by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Yarra Valley Country Club Bowls Club
Address: 9 Templestowe Road, Bulleen
Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2020
St Albans Bowls Club
Address: Kings Park Reserve, Magnolia Avenue, Kings Park
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2020
Mornington Bowling Club
Address: The Esplanade, Mornington
Date: Friday, March 20, 2020
Note: Applicants are advised to bring their own lunch as the Club does not have the facilities to sell food.
Numurkah Bowls Club
Address: 178A Melville Street, Numurkah
Date: Monday, April 6, 2020
Swan Hill Bowling Club
Address: 1 McCallum Street, Swan Hill
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 2020
Warracknabeal Bowling Club
Address: 1 The Avenue, Warracknabeal
Date: Wednesday, April 29
Daylesford Bowling Club
Address: 8 Camp Street, Daylesford
Date: Thursday, April 30
Sale Bowls Club
Address: Cnr Foster Street and Guthridge Parade, Sale
Date: Friday, May 15, 2020
Note: The Club will have refreshments and meals available for purchase through the Bistro.
Example course outline:
- On Green Session (1.5 Hours)
- Discussion and evaluation time (30 minutes)
- Exam (1 Hour)
Sessions are free to attend. Tea and Coffee will be provided at all clubs. Attendees will be required to bring their own lunch or purchase from available venues.
The test includes a short written paper, a Greens test and the procedures to be followed when carrying out a green inspection. The test does not contain advice on the maintenance of greens.
This training is intended only for Greens Committee members inspecting greens. However, it is suggested that all Region and Division Greens Committees request their Green Inspectors undertake this training, which will be carried out by members of the Bowls Victoria Greens Committee.
The information kit covers all aspects of grading greens and will assist you in completing the test. Your completed Information Kit will be retained by the Greens Inspector assessing you for reference purposes. Please ensure you complete and sign all relevant areas of this document.
Upon satisfactory completion of the written and practical test, an ID card will be issued to you. This is your Green Inspector certification card and identifies you as a qualified Bowls Victoria Greens Inspector.
Below are some additional resources that can be used as a reference.