To minimise any criticism directed at Greens Inspectors while carrying out their duties, those seeking Greens Inspector accreditation need to be suitably educated and trained.
The process to attain Greens Inspector accreditation is as follows:
- Complete the online Greens Inspector Application Form
- Undertake an on-green inspection and physical assessment with an accredited Greens Inspector. This will include completing a pro-forma report.
- Read the online Information Kit and familiarise yourself with the relevant Laws and Rules applicable to the setting out of a bowling green.
- Complete a written test (found in the Information Kit).
- Complete and return the written test to the Bowls Victoria Greens Committee (or an Approved Examiner Assessor) for checking.
TRAINING AND ASSESSMENT
Those undertaking this training will need to be able to demonstrate the following to gain accreditation:
- Inspection of NEW greens and fully-rebuilt greens (i.e. from drainage up), including grass,
synthetic (sand filled and carpet)
- Testing Procedures
- Knowledge of Laws
- Grading assessment of green and completion of relevant Green Inspection Report
UPCOMING GREENS INSPECTOR COURSES
Due to a number of Government imposed restrictions surrounding the COVID-19 situation, the Bowls Victoria Greens Committee in conjunction with Bowls Victoria have decided to postpone all remaining Greens Inspector courses.
This will affect the courses that were due to be held at the following venues:
- Numurkah Bowls Club – Monday April 6
- Swan Hill Bowls Club – Tuesday April 28
- Warracknabeal Bowls Club – Wednesday April 29
- Midlands Golf & Bowls Club – Thursday April 30
- Sale Bowls Club – Friday May 15
All applicants have been advised of the postponement. When new dates have been set we will ensure we advise all members.
We still encourage you to register your interest in future courses. To do so, please click here.
Example course outline:
- On Green Session (1.5 Hours)
- Discussion and evaluation time (30 minutes)
- Exam (1 Hour)
Sessions are free to attend. Tea and Coffee will be provided at all clubs. Attendees will be required to bring their own lunch or purchase from available venues.
DIDN’T FIND A COURSE NEAR YOU?
If these course locations are not suitable, you may request a Greens Inspector Course in your local Region or Division by filling out the request form here. Alternately you can contact the Greens Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
The test includes a short written paper, a Greens test and the procedures to be followed when carrying out a green inspection. The test does not contain advice on the maintenance of greens.
This training is intended only for Greens Committee members inspecting greens. However, it is suggested that all Region and Division Greens Committees request their Green Inspectors undertake this training, which will be carried out by members of the Bowls Victoria Greens Committee.
The information kit covers all aspects of grading greens and will assist you in completing the test. Your completed Information Kit will be retained by the Greens Inspector assessing you for reference purposes. Please ensure you complete and sign all relevant areas of this document.
Upon satisfactory completion of the written and practical test, an ID card will be issued to you. This is your Green Inspector certification card and identifies you as a qualified Bowls Victoria Greens Inspector.
Below are some additional resources that can be used as a reference.