Club Insurance


Individuals often bury their head in the sand when it comes to insurance – if they don’t understand it, they just ignore it. All Clubs, big and small, have a duty of care to every person who visits their facility and therefore need a certain level of insurance cover to safeguard their facility, members, staff and the general public.

Establishing what type of insurance cover your club needs depends on the types of services your club offers. Below is some general information about the types of coverage Clubs may require. The Sports Community websitealso provides further information regarding the below.

Legal note: The information provided below is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice. The contents below contain general information and may not reflect current legal developments or address your situation. You should not act on the basis of any content below without seeking professional advice.

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability Insurance provides Clubs with protection in the event that the Club has to pay compensation to third parties for personal injury or personal damage. Public liability policies cover claims resulting from the negligence of club members, including voluntary workers who are engaged on behalf of the club.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional Indemnity insurance cover protects any representative providing professional advice such as coaches. Insurance of this type indemnifies against claims where it is found that advice being provided by club representatives is deemed negligent.

Building and Contents

Building and Contents insurance protects the buildings and contents of your club from theft and damage. Policies also exist to cover your Club’s equipment when it is taken to competitions at venues other than the home Club. Policies of this kind do not cover a players personal items, unless they are owned by the Club.

Accident Insurance

Accident Insurance policies cover occurrences like death, permanent or temporary disability, loss of income and rehabilitation of sports injuries to players, participants, officials, coaches, volunteers, officers of the club and club members. Policies vary depending on the coverage so it is important to understand what’s covered.

Volunteer Staff Insurance

Volunteer staff insurance covers the individuals in your club that are helping out on the field of play and also in the club facilities. Officials suffering injury from ancillary activities or even those harmed in the kitchen facility helping to prepare meals, for example, will be covered for injury and loss of earnings.


There are many Insurance Providers in Australia who specialise in insurance for sport. We recommend if you are searching for club insurance that you connect with several different providers to ensure your club receives suitable coverage and value for money.

Marsh Advantage Insurance 

Marsh Advantage Insurance develops risk management and insurance broking solutions for sporting associations and clubs.

Grow-Gates Insurance 

Gow-Gates provides risk mitigation and transfer solutions for the sports industry including Sports clubs.

JLT Sport

JLT Sport provides sports insurance, risk solutions and risk management programmes across Australia.


Sportscover provides insurance for sport, risk management advice, marketing support services and other related services for the sports industry.

Webber Insurance

Webber  offer various insurance solutions to cover facilities, volunteers, clubs and coaches.