Vale Hall of Fame Legend Edna Harling
It is with a heavy heart we acknowledge the passing of Bowls Victoria Hall of Fame Legend Edna Harling at the age of 107.
A former 1968 Australian rep and Victorian representative spanning 22 years, Edna was a State Pennant Champion at the age of 92, not-to-mention a Victorian State Singles, Champion of Champions Singles, and 3 times State Pairs winner. Edna also won Pennant Division 1, twenty-one times for six clubs in between, whilst founding the Kialla Bowls Club with her husband Chris Snr in 1985 before merging with Shepparton Bowling Club to form the Shepparton Park Bowls Club in 2004, host of Bowls Victoria’s annual premiere grassroots event, the Victorian Open from 2011 to today.
A Life Member of Shepparton Park Bowls Club following memberships at Red Cliffs, Mirboo North, Sommerville, Castlemaine, Kerang, Karingal, Sale, Kialla and Mooroopna, Edna was a lover of many sports including tennis and AFL, especially her Collingwood Footy Club.
Edna’s list of achievements:
- Represented Victoria in the State Team for 22 years from 1964 to 1987
- Australia A and B side representative in 1968
- Victorian State Singles Champion in 1963-1964
- Victorian Singles Champion of Champions 1970-1971
- 3 times State Pairs Champion
- 23 times Club Singles Champion
- 14 times Association Singles Championships
- 21 Pennant Division 1 Premierships
- State Pennant Championship – 2004-2005 (aged 92)
- 3 State Country Singles Championships
- Bowls Victoria Hall of Fame Inductee, 2021
Our thoughts are with Edna’s family at this time.
Shepparton News article:
‘Charmed life’: Edna Harling, Shepparton’s oldest resident, dies aged 107.
A memorial service to celebrate Edna’s amazing life will be held at Merritt Funeral Services Chapel, 10-16 Macisaac Rd, Mooroopna, on Monday 4th July 2022, commencing at 11:30am
A livestream of the service will be available on Monday 4th July 2022 at 11:15am with the service starting at 11:30, on Merritt Funeral Services Facebook page and website.
Photo credit: Julie Mercer