2020/21 Metropolitan Pennant Competition Dates
Weekend Pennant & Midweek Pennant Competition Information
Following Bowls Australia’s decision to cancel the 2020 Nationals in the first two weeks of October, Round 1 of Metropolitan Pennant will now commence on Saturday September 26 (Weekend Pennant) and Tuesday September 29 (Midweek Pennant). The season will be 18 Rounds of competition, concluding in late March.
The decision made to commence the season earlier was to avoid the previously scheduled double headers and to accommodate the AFL Grand Final Weekend (Currently scheduled for Weekend of October 24).
Bowls Victoria are aware the 2020 AFL Grand Final does not have a definitive schedule date for competition, but regardless of date, Weekend Pennant will not be played on the Weekend in which this match occurs.
To register your teams for Season 2020/21, please click the button below.
Entries strictly close on Friday July 31, 2020 at 5:00pm.
The team registration form will also include updates to our existing competitions and highlight the new competition updates for this season. Please find more information below.
New Competitions and Alterations to existing competitions
Bowls Victoria will introduce and offer new competitions for this season, this includes the following.
2020/21 Weekend Pennant 6-a-side Competition
- The Weekend Pennant 6-a-side competition will move to a Saturday Morning (10:00am start) and including 2x seasons of competition (Spring Season and Summer Season) as outlined in the dates below.
- The 6-a-side competition will now be shortened to 15 ends and be played with 6 teams in a section, ensuring minimal travel and a more localized competition.
- The two shorter seasons Spring Season (September – November) and Summer Season (January – March) allows for Clubs to market to barefoot and social bowlers entering the club in the busy Christmas period, the ability to offer a shorter, Bowls Victoria competition to play in the second half of the Pennant season.
- Bowls Victoria will ask for team registrations for the Summer Season of 6-a-side in January.
- Players involved in the new Weekend Pennant 6-a-side competition have the option to play in the usual afternoon timeslot at 1:00pm.
- The change offers the option for bowlers that are time poor, new to the sport, want to play more, want to play for a shorter duration or have the desire to play closer to home.
2020/21 Midweek Pennant 6-a-side Competition
- The Midweek Pennant 6-a-side competition remains at the usual timeslot at 10:30am on a Tuesday.
- Similar to the Weekend 6-a-side competition, this competition will now move to 15 ends, with two separate seasons (Spring Season and Summer Season).
- The competition will also move to 6 teams in a section, ensuring a more localized competition.
2020 Junior League (Under 18) Competition
- After a successful first season, Season 2 of Junior League will start on Sunday October 11 at 9:30am.
- Depending on entries, multiple venues may be used for the 2020 Season.
- The Two Bowl Triples competition will be held across six weeks in 2020 and conclude before the start of the Vic Open.
- Team Registrations can be found by clicking below.
NEW: 2021 Bowls Victoria Metropolitan Night Pennant Competition
- After discussions throughout the lockdown period, for Season 2020/21, Bowls Victoria will provide additional support to existing Metropolitan Night Pennant Competitions and organize a Metropolitan Final in late March 2021.
- The event in late March will involve all top division winners from existing competitions including the Eastern Ranges, Sandbelt Electric Light & Northern Gateway Night Pennant.
NEW: 2020/21 Thursday 7-a-side Competition
- As a new option of competition, Metropolitan Clubs will be asked on their registration forms for interest in a newly proposed 7-a-side competition held on a Thursday.
- The 7-a-side competition commences at 10:30am and involve two pairs teams and a triples team.
- Similar to the 6-a-side competition, the competition would be localized, giving clubs the opportunity to play a different format on a different day with minimized travel.
- Following feedback from Metropolitan Clubs, a decision in late August will determine whether this competition is viable moving forward.