This Girl Can: Inspiring Women to Get Active
VicHealth’s This Girl Can Week is here and Bowls Victoria is proud to be part of this important initiative dedicated to motivating and inspiring women of all backgrounds, ages and abilities to get active, by trying something new or returning to exercise after an extended break.
While promoting the benefits of physical activity for women is a major part of This Girl Can – Victoria, the campaign is also about empowering women to feel comfortable enough in their bodies to get active whenever, wherever and however they choose.
VicHealth research suggests the following about female participation in sport and exercise:
- Significantly fewer women than men do enough physical activity each week.
- Significantly more women than men do no physical activity at all.
- Women are much less likely to participate in organised sport than men.
- Women’s participation in sports and exercise declines substantially as they get older.
VicHealth, Bowls Victoria and everyone involved in This Girl Can – Victoria believe these facts need to change.
Specifically, the campaign’s objectives are to:
- Increase physical activity among Victorian women, with a focus on less active women.
- Support gender equality by challenging traditional gender roles and stereotypes in sport and by celebrating women in this space.
The story so far
This Girl Can – Victoria launched in 2018 with a promotional campaign featuring real Victorian women. Since then, This Girl Can – Victoria has already made an impressive impact on the community:
- More than 285,000 Victorian women were more active after seeing the campaign.
- This Girl Can – Victoria inspired 1 in 7 women aged between 18-65 across the state to get active.
- Over three-quarters of women who have seen the This Girl Can – Victoria advertisement believed it helped women feel more confident in getting active.
It’s not too late to get involved and we’re encouraging Bowls Clubs around the state can get involved before the week is out by hosting an event and/or offering free or low-cost bowls activities for women before March 25, 2019.
All you need to do is create your own Facebook event, then invite the This Girl Can – Victoria page to ‘co-host’.
Want to become a supporter and inspire others? Find out more here
Want to get active and try your hand at lawn bowls? Find out more here